Building a Fairer, Safer and More Sustainable Hackney
Hackney Labour’s Manifesto 2018: for the Mayoral and Local Elections on Thursday 3 May
I was elected Mayor of Hackney back in September 2016. Now, as a borough, we face a new election to decide who will represent the people of Hackney for the next four years.
It is a big decision, one that will shape our Borough and our communities for years to come.
This manifesto sets out Labour’s vision for Hackney, and the future you can expect from a Labour Council and a Labour Mayor.
Hackney has been transformed by the hard work of our Council staff and the local leadership of Hackney Labour. This work, built on Labour values and sound financial management for over a decade, has seen Hackney rise up the ranks to be one of the best performing local authorities in the country.
Hackney Labour kept Council Tax rises as low as we could, while innovating and investing in services, and rebuilding much of the infrastructure of our borough. At this election, Hackney Labour will re-commit to sound financial management of the Council. We will do this while preserving quality services for all, reducing inequality, and focusing support on the most vulnerable.
When I stood to be Mayor, I set out plans to build a Hackney that works for everyone – creating new opportunities through apprenticeships and training, building Council homes again, investing in new facilities for the whole community and creating a greener Hackney. I am proud of what we have achieved, but never satisfied knowing that we can do more.
We believe that if we work together we can remain a diverse, tolerant and creative place that invests in our young people, takes the big decisions needed to tackle air pollution and climate change, and creates real opportunities for people of all ages and backgrounds to succeed.
That means building the schools, homes and community facilities we need, but also means empowering our communities, giving Hackney residents a real voice in how the borough is changing.
If you believe in our vision and values, I ask for your support at this election – for myself to be your Labour Mayor and for your local Labour ward candidates. Together we can build a fairer, safer and more sustainable Hackney.
Philip Glanville, Mayor of Hackney
- Hackney Labour will lead a campaigning, inclusive Council that works with and supports all our diverse communities.
- Hackney Labour will build more of the homes we need.
- Hackney Labour will improve training, create jobs and opportunities.
- Hackney Labour will give all our young people the best start in life.
- Hackney Labour will maintain Hackney’s education success.
- Hackney Labour will tackle crime, support our residents and keep them safe.
- Hackney Labour will support everyone to lead a healthier life.
- Hackney Labour will keep our streets and communities clean and green.